Design admin on a self build will include:
- Consideration of building regulations
- Co-ordinating consultations with the building control body
- An elemental cost plan and cash flow projection
- Obtaining input from the suppliers of goods and services; settling pricing and contract conditions before any commitment to use their services
- Co-ordinating designs by specialist suppliers or contractors into the overall design
- Sourcing necessary samples of materials, visits to assess samples or mock-ups
- The designer should submit a full set of project drawings, specifications and a cost plan to the self builder for comment and approval before progressing to the next stage. Where the proposed development affects a party wall or party structure, the self builder needs to consider if it is appropriate to issue party wall notices and to appoint party wall surveyors.
- Construction drawings
- Floor plans, sections and elevations.
- Site plan
Processes involved include:
- Building services strategy (heating, ventilation, electrical supply, lighting and so on).
- Outline specification describing the main materials and workmanship required.
- A strategy for obtaining planning permission.
- Procurement strategy.
- Programme, construction methodology and logistics.
- Approximate quantities of the main materials proposed.
- A cost plan (including site preliminaries).
- The design should be fixed at the end of this process.