I intend to construct a rear extension. Do I need to give notice to my neighbour in accordance with the Party Wall Act?

For your neighbour to have a right under the Party Wall Act to comment and have an impact on your Works, you would need to be constructing a foundation less than 3m away from your common boundary. I would suggest asking a Party Wall surveyor to explain the implications of issuing a notice under the Party Wall Act.